HOW WE TREAT MIGRAINE
Migraines can have a debilitating effect on daily life. At Breakspear Medical, our Clinical Team will help bring you relief through comprehensive investigations and identification of trigger substances, such as food allergies or chemicals, and provide treatment for your trigger substances using low-dose immunotherapy (LDI). Our goal is to dramatically reduce migraine occurrences so that the need for drugs becomes redundant and you can start living life without hindrance.
The treatment of allergy, intolerance and sensitivity using the technique LDI is one of Breakspear Medical’s areas of expertise. The technique is entirely safe in our experienced hands, and employs intradermal skin tests and regular LDI treatment. LDI helps people with allergy/sensitivity and many environmental illnesses by reducing the burden on the immune system.
There are various triggers of attacks and identifying these migraine triggers can be very useful in prevention. Attacks are often the result of a combination of provoking factors such as chemical exposures, foods, and stress. It is the total load of such influences that seems to be important, and reducing the contributions from each of these provoking factors will lessen the total burden on the body; this in turn lessens the likelihood of an attack.
Here are some treatment options that may be considered:
- hyperthermia treatment – treatment sessions with our IRATHERM®, which provides intense infra-red sauna body-heating therapy, which can help to relieve the pain.
- addressing stomach or digestive problems – this is commonly caused by food sensitivities and testing for these and provision of low-dose immunotherapy (LDI) will allow the correction of specific food sensitivities to help relieve pain and provide support.
- improving gut function – recommendations will be made to optimise your gut function by balancing the microbiomes. The gut has trillions of bacteria, viruses and fungi, which are collectively known as microbiome. Some are linked to disease while others are essential for your immune system and many other aspects of health.
- oxygen therapy – many people benefit from using an oxygen concentrator, which helps increase the oxygen levels in the blood.
- detoxification – lifestyle changes may be recommended to help eliminate toxins in the body, including drugs.
- rectification of your energy cycle – the Krebs cycle is the citric acid cycle which is the main source of energy for living things. There are 10 steps in the Krebs cycle and if any of the steps are not performing as they should, there is a knockdown effect, which can cause extreme fatigue and pain.
- redox restorative substances
Migraines can be a difficult and disruptive problem for those who experience them. Rather than simply relying on medication, at Breakspear Medical, we offer alternatives to help reduce the occurrence of migraine without prescription drugs, though simple analgesics may often be used.”
– Jean Monro, Environmental Naturopath
SUPPLEMENTS FOR MIGRAINE
For those who suffer from migraine, there are many supplements and dietary changes that may be recommended in combination to help you regain your vitality. Often supplements are used in prescribed doses, which may vary considerably from the standard, recommended doses. A wide range of herbal remedies can also help as part of the first step to working towards feeling better.
SYMPTOMS OF MIGRAINE
Migraine is the name given to a type of headache caused by changes in the diameter of blood vessels in the brain. A migraine is usually a severe headache felt as a throbbing pain at the front or side of the head. Some people also have other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting and increased sensitivity to light or sound.
There are many varieties, but a migraine headache is classically one-sided, associated with the dislike of light, accompanied by nausea or vomiting and varying visual disturbance. In some rare cases, some people may experience temporary paralysis or loss of consciousness.
The location and intensity of the symptoms of migraines may vary significantly and include:
- throbbing pain on one or both sides of the head
- eye pain
- sensitivity to light, sound and/or smell
- vomiting and nausea
- numbness or tingling
- vertigo or double vision.
Generally symptoms can last for hours or days.
Many people experience symptoms in advance of the headache such as:
- seeing flashing lights, lines or spots
- experiencing depression and/or irritability with no explanation
- disturbed sleep
- sinus troubles
- neck pain
- frequent urination
Some migraine sufferers depend on painkillers and anti-sickness preparations to help control symptoms. Other migrainers take medication which is aimed at preventing attacks. In some cases these methods of dealing with migraines becomes habit-forming causing headaches to occur with greater frequency if the drug is not taken.
If you suffer from migraines, make an appointment for an initial consultation with member of our Clinical Team.
ARTICLES ON MIGRAINE
We have shared information about migraines in our Breakspear Medical Bulletins over the years including: